[pptp-server] Performance of PPTP Connections

David Luyer david_luyer at pacific.net.au
Thu Jul 6 16:01:53 CDT 2000

> we're using the PoPToP-Server to connect our wireless LAN with our normal LAN
> (to ensure, that only allowed people can access our LAN).
> I made some performance tests and got about 400KByte/s without the PPTP-Server
> and about 200KByte/s with the PPTP-Server. I tried it with and without
> encryption, but the results were the same, so I don't think that the CPU is
> the problem.

Perhaps the problem is fragmentation?

Try adding a route with an MSS of 1476 pointing to the site you're performance
testing from on the site you're performance testing to & vice-versa.  See if it
improves.  Actually I'd suggest 1400 to be really safe :-)

I expect you'll find the performance loss varies based on the relationship
between the MSS of the packets sent and the MTU of the underlying physical
link.

David.
David Luyer
Senior Network Engineer
Pacific Internet (Aust) Pty Ltd
Phone:  +61 3 9674 7525
Fax:    +61 3 9699 8693
Mobile: +61 4 1064 2258, +61 4 1114 2258
http://www.pacific.net.au        NASDAQ: PCNTF
<< fast 'n easy >>