[pptp-server] NO ONE IS HELPING ME ABOUT THE CONFIGURATION OF LINUX PPTP CLINET

Volker Hett hett at hss-bremen.de
Fri Jul 7 08:38:36 CDT 2000

Hy Shrikrupa,

first get rid of HTML formating in your E-Mail. This is a mailinglist of
people working with PopTop, a VPN/PPTP Server for Linux, who usualy
don´t use MS Outlook.

Then I have some questions regarding you´re Mail

1. Are you realy sure you wan´t a Virtual Private Network to connect via
an insecure Line, i.e. the Internet, to your LAN or do you want to
connect from the inside of your LAN to the Internet?

2. What is Linux 6? I know three Linux Distributions wich used the
Numbers 6.x, which one is yours?

and one answer

KPPP is a frontend to configure DialUp Networking quite similar to MS
DialUp Networking. You need KDE!

And here are some tips

I´m not sure, see question 1, but it looks to me as if you want to do
Masqerading/NAT between your Network and the internet. In this case you
should find out with which equimpment you are connected to the ISP. Any
modern Router from Cisco, Ascent/Lucent, Elsa can do NAT.
In case you want to connect a Linux Box via a VPN to a NT Network, first
download the PPTP client Software from
http://www.pdos.lcs.mit.edu/~cananian/Projects/PPTP and pppd-2.3.11 from
ftp://cs.anu.edu.au/pub/software/ppp/. Then you need a couple of patches
and libraries to get MS-CHAP and Dataencryption whose availability
depends on your location. You will need OpenSSL 0.9.5 and
ppp-2.3.11-openssl-0.9.5-mppe.patch to apply OpenSSL to pppd. You´ll
find an example for instance on
http://www.poptop.de/vpn/releases/HOWTO-PoPToP.txt and some additional
information regarding DialIn to Windows NT in the ppp Readme.

Hope it helps

Volker