[pptp-server] PPTP and NAT?

Eric Stratte estradey at pullman.com
Mon Jul 17 20:34:02 CDT 2000

"Jose M. Sanchez" wrote:

> |  I have a client who wants to set up multiple PPTP to my Linux server over
> |their Internet line.  They use NAT to access the internet.
> |
> |  Can you have multiple NAT'd connections to the same PPTP server
> |active at the
> |same time?
>
> Yes.

Has this always been the case?

   I have PPTPD 1.0.0 installed and working(apparently fine) with 128
bit encryption on RH6.0, but I had a problem having 2 friends (same IP)
who were using Win98's ICS for NAT connect at the same time.  As soon as
the second one established connection, the first one would become
un-pingable(sp?).  It looks like they both connected on pts/3 and I
remember netstat saying that there were multiple connections between the
same exact ports on my machine and his.

He Has DSL and 2 NICs to share internet(Win98), typical setup...

Is this a windows connection sharing thing?  I want my friend to put a
linux NAT/firewall in, but he had a rough experience with linux and a
2940 SCSI controller, I think it was coincidence, but he spent so much
time trying to fix it afterwards that I won't be able to talk him into
linux for 6 months or so.

I'm planning on updating everything soon, so I thought the problem might
"fix itself", but I saw the topic and had to ask...

Eric