[pptp-server] PPTP and NAT?

Jose M. Sanchez opjose at ex-pressnet.com
Tue Jul 18 14:41:27 CDT 2000

|-----Original Message-----

|"Jose M. Sanchez" wrote:

|> |
|> |  I have a client who wants to set up multiple PPTP to my Linux
|server over
|> |their Internet line.  They use NAT to access the internet.
|> |
|> |  Can you have multiple NAT'd connections to the same PPTP server
|> |active at the
|> |same time?
|>
|> Yes.
|
|Has this always been the case?

Yes, but this MUST be from DIFFERENT IP's originating the connection as
others have inidicated.

|   I have PPTPD 1.0.0 installed and working(apparently fine) with 128
|bit encryption on RH6.0, but I had a problem having 2 friends (same IP)
|who were using Win98's ICS for NAT connect at the same time.

No you cannot use the SAME Ip for both.

| As soon as
|the second one established connection, the first one would become
|un-pingable(sp?).  It looks like they both connected on pts/3 and I
|remember netstat saying that there were multiple connections between the
|same exact ports on my machine and his.

Yeap. Also even if you have different IP's you'll have to deal with routing
issues.

This is why additional connections should ideally occur on different
subnets...

|He Has DSL and 2 NICs to share internet(Win98), typical setup...
|
|Is this a windows connection sharing thing?  I want my friend to put a
|linux NAT/firewall in, but he had a rough experience with linux and a
|2940 SCSI controller, I think it was coincidence, but he spent so much
|time trying to fix it afterwards that I won't be able to talk him into
|linux for 6 months or so.
|
|I'm planning on updating everything soon, so I thought the problem might
|"fix itself", but I saw the topic and had to ask...

Eh do you really mean PPTP?

The above implies that what you are looking for is MASQ/IPCHAINS...

-JMS