[pptp-server] Name resolution and Optimization

Cowles, Steve Steve.Cowles at gte.net
Thu Jul 20 23:39:12 CDT 2000

This is exactly how I have my Samba/PPTP box configured. I have an NT PDC
that also functions as the WINS server on my LAN. All workstations on the
LAN register and authenticate with the NT PDC/WINS server. My linux box is
also running PopTop. Samba is configured to be a member server of my NT
domain. I followed the instructions in the DOMAIN_MEMBER.txt file in the
Samba docs directory to make it "join" the NT domain. Also, I do NOT enable
the WINS server component of Samba. I simply have it register with the NT
WINS server when Samba initializes.

The global section of my smb.conf file is as follows (see below). For
reference: My NT domain name is COWLES.  The PDC/WINS server netbios name is
defiant and its IP address is at 192.168.9.2. My linux Samba/PPTP server is
at ip address 192.168.9.3. I also run samba 2.0.7 so that I can "also"
browse W2K stations from my linux box.

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = COWLES
        server string = Linux Server
        interfaces = 192.168.9.3/24
        security = DOMAIN
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        password server = defiant
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        os level = 33
        local master = No
        dns proxy = No
        wins server = 192.168.9.2
        remote announce = 192.168.9.255

> Attempting to look at the local Linux Browse list on the
> remote PPTP server does not display the PDC as the master
> browser (the entry remains blank). Even though the PDC is
> accessable and assigned to be the WINS Master Browser
> in Samba.

Running smbclient on my linux box (without authenticating, no -U) returns
the browse list for my local LAN (see below). This is also the same browser
information that is displayed in network neighborhood on my Windows based
systems (even the remotes using PPTP). If I was to include authentication
using smbclient (with -U), the shares on the PDC would also be displayed.
Again, my linux box is a member server and does NOT run samba's WINS server.
In fact, using samba configured this way, I am able to use most of the
functionality of NT's "server manager" to view statistics about my linux
box. Stats such as current users connected, number of shares/files in use,
locks, etc.. are available when I select my linux box from within server
manager.

[scowles at voyager /etc]$ smbclient -L defiant
added interface ip=192.168.9.3 bcast=192.168.9.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Password:
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[COWLES] OS=[Windows NT 4.0] Server=[NT LAN Manager 4.0]

	Sharename      Type      Comment
	---------      ----      -------

	Server               Comment
	---------            -------
	DEFIANT              Cowles Domain PDC/WINS/Exch Server
	ENTERPRISE           Steve's Home Office Computer - W2K
	PATTY                Patty's Computer - W2K
	VOYAGER              Linux Server

	Workgroup            Master
	---------            -------
	COWLES               DEFIANT
[scowles at voyager /etc]$

> I've tried making the Linux Samba server a BDC as well and
> have managed to register it with the PDC... but still no
> browse lists...

I have not personally tried configuring Samba as a PDC and/or BDC. The only
reason I have not enabled Samba's WINS server is that it cannot do
"push/pull" replication with other NT based WINS servers. Only with another
Samba WINS server.

As for how all of this relates to using poptop from a remote site... my
laptop is running NT workstation (sp6a). When I use my dialup account, while
out of town and connect into my PopTop server... network neighborhood,
domain authentication, etc... works perfectly. Except for the initial "No
Domain Controller Found" message when I power up my laptop. This message
does not bother me because I understand how TCP/IP and MS networking are
inititalizing at boot up vs. when the PPTP connection is brought up so that
it can contact the PDC and WINs server.

Steve Cowles