[pptp-server] linux pptp client: how to stop it?

Gord Belsey gord at amador.ca
Thu Jul 27 10:35:25 CDT 2000

David:

The only way to stop the client is to kill the pid.  It's a bit ugly.....

Here's what I did:

I wrote a script to stop the client that kills the pid, removes
/var/run/ppp-<your client>.dev and removes /var/run/pptpd/<ip address of
pptp server>.  I also wrote a script to start the client, as it beats typing
ing the whole start command with all the options.  I run this on boot so
that the vpn comes up automatically.

Note that when you restart the client, it'll most likely use ppp1 (or ppp2
etc).  ppp0 remains "registered" to the original process for a while.  This
for the most part is not an issue.  However, if it's a problem, note that
ppp uses several options ($1 through$5) that can be passed between scripts.
I can't remember off the top of my head which is which, but a little trial
and error and you'll find the ppp interface, the server (remote) name,
remote address and a couple of other variables.  Also, there's a $6 variable
that can be given a value in the ppp options file.

FYI...I wrote my scripts to use the $variables rather than hard coded
values.  It's alot cleaner and saves a rewrite down the road if some
need/want changes.  For instance, I wrote it so that I pass the server name
to the script when I run it (ie:pptpstart servername).  Now, I can start a
pptp client session on more than one server at a time.  This is handy for
me, as the servers I support are on client networks.  I open a client
session from them to my own server, and viola, I have a live network
connection to all my remote sites for management and troubleshooting.

Hope this info is helpful

Gord Belsey