[pptp-server] linux pptp client: how to stop it?

Cowles, Steve Steve.Cowles at gte.net
Thu Jul 27 10:25:54 CDT 2000

I know... what a pain. The pptp client leaves alot to be desired when it
comes to a connection not shutting down properly.

The only way I have found to accomplish this (short of writing a script) is
to:

1) Manually "kill" the pptpd process. i.e.
    * ps aux | grep pptpd
    * kill -TERM <PID>
   NOTE: PID is the process ID returned from the
   "ps/grep" command.

2) Delete the corresponding pptpd "lock" file (typically) /var/run/pptpd.pid

You should then be able to re-start your connection.

Steve Cowles