[pptp-server] PPTPD 1.0 vs. 1.1.1

David Luyer david_luyer at pacific.net.au
Mon Jun 5 09:40:16 CDT 2000

> OK, I have noticed on this list the occasional post in which someone
> mentions a problem they are having who is then told that all is better with
> version 1.1.1. But this is the development version, I understand. So I have
> the following questions:
>
> 1) which version is more stable?

IMO 1.0 - or at least it's more widely tested.

> 2) are there really any 1.0 problems which 1.1.1 fixes?

Not that I know of.

> 3) are there any problems which occur with 1.1.1 which don't with 1.0?

Also none that I know of.

> 4) is 1.1.1 more resource hungry than 1.0 (I don't see how it could be
> less)?

Unsure on that one.  It could easily be, as parts where I had tried to
consider CPU cache efficiency have been ripped apart and extra code has been
added into parts which I expect would be performance critical, but I haven't
done any profiling to back this up.  1.0 does all I want it to so I've had
no need to test 1.1.1 or consider submitting any code for a post-1.0 release
(be it based on 1.1.1 or 1.0).  I don't know what the other developers are
up to either, probably happily using 1.0 too :-)

> 5) any other caveats?

If you use 1.0 and find a real bug I will probably try to find/fix it.
Under 1.1.1 I'm less likely to but the person who did the code for 1.1.1
might.

I did a lot of work leading up to 1.0 making sure it was fully tested
and reliable.  I am aware of only two problems - given a network which
does not generate its own problems such as out of order packets; one is
that sometimes some pppds are left around (not really a pptp bug) and
the other is that with Win2000 it reports that real ACCMs have been sent
but it does nothing with the ACCMs.  1.1.1 doesn't address either of
there issues though - it was a first cut toward supporting something
which I am convinced is not worth supporting (the broken and fundamentally
flawed congestion control protocol from Microsoft).

David.
David Luyer
Senior Network Engineer
Pacific Internet (Aust) Pty Ltd
Phone:  +61 3 9674 7525
Fax:    +61 3 9699 8693
Mobile: +61 4 1064 2258, +61 4 1114 2258
http://www.pacific.net.au        NASDAQ: PCNTF
<< fast 'n easy >>