[pptp-server] Browsing the network, Logging on to NT domain.

Derek Simkowiak dereks at kd-dev.com
Tue Jun 13 15:47:06 CDT 2000

-> - I correctly get assigned the private IP address by the pppd of
-> poptop server.

	I have a question: so pppd is the daemon that assigns you an IP
address?  It's been a long time since I worked with pppd... for some
reason, I was under the assumption that the DHCP server inside the private
network would pass out VPN IP Addresses.  I guess I need to RTFM again.

-> Here is what I dont have:
->
-> - Browsing capability on all NT machines

	You need to use WINS.  "Network Neighborhood" browsing is
dependent on the SMB equivalent of DNS, called WINS.

	If you are using Samba, there is an option to turn on WINS in the
Samba server.  It is called "wins support = yes".  I don't know anything
about turning it on in NT.

	Once you have a WINS server, you need to point your remote Win9x
workstation at that server.  There is an option under Control
Panel->Network->TCP/IP->Properties->WINS Configuration->Enable WINS
Resolution  where you specify your WINS server.

	Here is where I am confused: I know that DHCP can set the WINS
server on a Win9x machine, but if the IP address is passed out by pppd,
can pppd also provide a WINS server IP address?  Or must all the remote,
VPN-using Win9x client manually type in the IP address of your WINS server
(i.e., 192.168.0.6 or some other internal IP address)?

-> - Loggin on the local NT domain controller.

	If you're using Samba, you must turn on NT Domain logins.  There
is an option called "domain logons = yes" that you must set in smb.conf.
Also, make sure that your client is configured correctly.  Again, I don't
know how to do it under NT.

	Under Control Panel->Network->Client for Microsoft
Networks->Properties you must turn on "Log on to Windows NT Domain".  And
make sure you domain is the same as on the Windows NT (or Samba) server!

	It could be that domain logons will fail if WINS is off, but I'm
not sure.  Before trying anything else, turn on WINS.

	If anyone could answer my questions, I'd appreciate it.

--Derek