[pptp-server] EMERGENCY!! Clients can't get in!!

Eric H. Raskin eraskin at paslists.com
Thu Jun 15 10:32:37 CDT 2000

Hello all:

I've got an emergency here because clients can't get in.  I've been (and
continue to) look at the Usenet postings for any help on this, but I'm taking
too long to find what I need.  Sorry ahead of time if this is a FAQ (although I
didn't find anything about it in the PoPToP FAQ or the PPP FAQ).

I've had a working PoPToP v1.0.0 configuration (without MPPE) for about 1 month
now.  After hearing about problems with security in kernel 2.2.14, I've just
upgraded to 2.2.16, following the excellent instructions from Boris Reisig
(boris at microtrader.com).

Unfortunately, now my clients can't connect!!  I'm getting the following in the
log file:

  pppd[2229]: Could not determine local IP address

Here is my /etc/pptpd.conf file:

speed 115200
option /etc/ppp/pptpd.options
debug
localip 192.168.10.1
remoteip 192.168.1.2-254

Here is my /etc/ppp/pptpd.options file:

debug
kdebug 1
name gatekeeper
idle 1800
auth
require-chap
+chap
+chapms
+chapms-v2
mppe-40
mppe-128
mppe-stateless
ms-wins 192.168.10.2
ms-wins 192.168.10.2
ms-dns 192.168.10.2
ms-dns 192.168.10.1
proxyarp
netmask 255.255.255.0

Can anyone help?  This is really an emergency!!

Eric H. Raskin                                 eraskin at paslists.com
Professional Advertising Systems Inc.          Voice: 914-741-1100
70 Memorial Plaza                              Fax:   914-741-2788
Pleasantville, NY 10570