[pptp-server] MPPE Encryption Not Working...

Jake Woolstenhulme jakew at enrichcorp.net
Thu Jun 15 14:46:27 CDT 2000

Hi All,

I have been trying to get a Win98 machine to connect up to my RedHat 6.2
machine running PoPToP.  I am able to authenticate and remain connected,
but no data will pass through the connection.  I can ping the PPP
interface on the Win98 box, but no further.  When I try to ping the
Linux box, I see the lights on the DUN systray icon blinking as if
traffic was both being sent and received, but the ping times out.  From
the Linux box, I can see the counters on the PPP interface increasing,
but cannot ping the Win98 box.  The log files show that the connection
is established using 40-bit stateless encryption.  The only errors are
from pppd complaining about unsupported protocols.  Sorry I don't have
the actual logs available right now.

The really strange thing is if I unload the PPP_MPPE module from the
Linux box, and uncheck require encryption options from the Win98 side,
everything works as it should.

Any ideas?

TIA

-Jake Woolstenhulme