[pptp-server] GRE: Bad checksum from pppd

H hawke at hawkes-haven.com
Sun Jun 18 21:42:03 CDT 2000

Are there any routers between that are mangling the GRE? Some routers
don't know how to handle it at all, others do so incorrectly, and many
newer ones work just fine.
-Hawke

Joshua Nekl wrote:

> Okay, we've been working on this problem for the last 3 days.
> When connecting from windows clients, I get the following error
> message.
>
> Jun 18 21:01:29 lx1 pptpd[2325]: GRE: Bad checksum from pppd.
> Jun 18 21:02:05 lx1 last message repeated 12 times
>
> Does anyone know what can cause this error message???
> Is there a way to enable better debugging???
> I've tried adding debug to /etc/ppp/options and staring pptpd with
> the -d switch, but neither one yields any more info.
>
> We have setup about six other PoPToP linux servers. All of them
> are the same configuration.
>
> RH 6.1 / kernel 2.2.14
> poptop 1.0.0
> ppp 2.3.10
>
> I've compare /etc/ppp/options and /etc/pptpd.conf. Everything is
> the same except for the ip pools.
>
> I have even re-extraced the kernel / poptop / ppp source and
> re-compiled everything. Didn't help.
>
> I saw in a previous post a similar problem with the GRE:
> Bad checksum ... stuff. The problem was solved by going to
> poptop v1.1.1. I tried that also, and it still didn't help.
>
> All of us are at a loss of where to go next. Any help is
> greatly appreciated.
>
> "Who needs horror movies when we have Microsoft"?
> -- Christine Comaford, PC Week, 27/9/95

-Hawke
eCommerce & Internal Infrastructure
Systems & Components Architect
Unix Systems Admin
MCP+I, MCSE, CNA, AS in CS
Amateur Java programmer
hawke at hawkes-haven.com

The opinions expressed are just that, my opinions, solely my own,
and in no way reflects any view or policy of my employer.