[pptp-server] GRE: Bad checksum from pppd

Joshua Nekl jnekl at kc.rr.com
Sun Jun 18 21:20:45 CDT 2000

Okay, we've been working on this problem for the last 3 days.
When connecting from windows clients, I get the following error
message.

Jun 18 21:01:29 lx1 pptpd[2325]: GRE: Bad checksum from pppd.
Jun 18 21:02:05 lx1 last message repeated 12 times

Does anyone know what can cause this error message???
Is there a way to enable better debugging???
I've tried adding debug to /etc/ppp/options and staring pptpd with
the -d switch, but neither one yields any more info.

We have setup about six other PoPToP linux servers. All of them
are the same configuration.

RH 6.1 / kernel 2.2.14
poptop 1.0.0
ppp 2.3.10

I've compare /etc/ppp/options and /etc/pptpd.conf. Everything is
the same except for the ip pools.

I have even re-extraced the kernel / poptop / ppp source and
re-compiled everything. Didn't help.

I saw in a previous post a similar problem with the GRE:
Bad checksum ... stuff. The problem was solved by going to
poptop v1.1.1. I tried that also, and it still didn't help.

All of us are at a loss of where to go next. Any help is
greatly appreciated.

"Who needs horror movies when we have Microsoft"?
-- Christine Comaford, PC Week, 27/9/95