[pptp-server] "No domain controller was found to validate your password."

Shahid Mahmood smahmood at tekdigitel.com
Thu Jun 22 11:09:30 CDT 2000

Office:
  PopTop running on m/c with 2 ethernet cards (64.x.x.x and 192.168.1.1)
  File server "NT_SERVER" on private LAN (192.168.1.2)
  smb server "linux-server" + wins support on 192.168.1.1 (same m/c as
poptop).
  /etc/ppp/options has

                 ms-wins 192.168.1.1

Home:
  Win 98 SE PC
  lmhosts file has a line

                 192.168.1.2     NT_SERVER #PRE #DOM:atc-group
  WORKGROUP = atc-group

  I connect to Internet, fire up VPN get connected to office LAN
  at "Logging on to Network" dilaog, I get

"No domain controller was found to validate your password".

It happens 9 out of ten times. Sometimes it "DOES" find the N_SERVER for
login, but the startup scripts (kick32.exe or something) either takes toooo
long to finish or crashes the client PC.

This works:
The shares from "linux-server" (the samba on poptop m/c) are connected ok.
(i can mount directories etc). These dont require NT for login authorizarion.

I can browse the network and see all NT file servers, but cannot write to
any of them (becuz i never logged in).
I can ping all PC in office LAN.

*HELP* !!!