[pptp-server] PTY read or GRE write failure

Neale Banks neale at lowendale.com.au
Thu Jun 22 16:25:29 CDT 2000

On Thu, 22 Jun 2000, Daniel Slatford wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> Anybody able to shed any light on whats going on here? Trying to get a basic
> pptp server running for doze 98SE client, running pptpd 1.0.0, pppd 2.3.11
> and kernel 2.2.16, SuSE 6.4 box. The box it's running on is a masq box for
> my home LAN.
>
> Can establish a connection momentarially from windows, but it immediately
> disconnects. Logfile thus:
[snip]

> As I can't even seem to get this bit working I've not tried recompiling pppd
> with appropiate encryption patches yet.
>
> The seperate pppd options file /etc/ppp/options.pptp is necessary because I
> also have to use pppd to dial into my ISP, the two configurations conflict.
> Even tho there's a seperate instance of pppd running each with its own
> config file, would that cause a problem for pptpd?

"should" be OK.  You might coax some useful information from ppp if you
include "debug" in the pppd options (e.g. maybe the caller is using the
MS-style DOMAIN\\user?).

[...]
> Also, assuming I manage to clear up this problem - what, in the opinion of
> people far more experianced with pptpd than I, is the feasability of using
> poptop on a corporate LAN? In our office (A job I've just started - they're
> all NT based, eurgh) we plan to have a leased line installed, and need a
> firewall/VPN solution. Currently we have neither, just an MS proxy server,
> *gulp*. As my experiance with poptop is so far less than impressive (but I
> still have faith in it!) is it up to the task of serving, say, up to a dozen
> concurrent connections reliably?

IIRC, others here reported success with these kinds of numbers and there
has been the occasional speculation on how to run many more than this.

> (it's this requirement that introduced me
> to poptop to begin with, then I realised as sometimes travel about a bit how
> cool it'd be to have a VPN link to my home lan :)

PoPToP has its place, but if you have *n*x at each end then there are
other, arguably more appropriate, solutions available (e.g. vpnd).

HTH,
Neale.