[pptp-server] What do Select() errors mean?

Jose M. Sanchez opjose at ex-pressnet.com
Tue Jun 27 17:26:06 CDT 2000

Re: Select()

The problem was user error... ME.

I have two connection points on the clients I was trying to use.

Either Dialup or via a local LAN/Cable modem/Masq connection.

I had originally deleted VPN after installing Windows.

I manually re-installed it. This creates the single VPN entry in the network
properties box in the control panel.

This works fine for my LAN connections but I kept getting select() errors
when attempting to connect via a dialup ISP.

I finally discovered what the Second VPN #2 dialup adapter was for.

It is used to enable VPN over dialups. PPP "rides" the second adapter.

After removing all vestiges of networking from the clients then
re-installing the VPN #2 connection re-appeared. This eliminated the
select() errors and permitted the clients to log in...

Otherwise I'm just running PPP 2.2.11 with the patch file applied.

options file contains

debug
+chapms
+chapms-v2
name firewall
remotename remote
mppe-40
mppe-128
mppe-stateless
require-chap
proxyarp
auth

chap-secrets contains

domain\\admin    *               password          *
firewall        domain\\admin    password          *
remote          *                password          *
*               remote           password          *

---

Now I know the tunnel works, because I can do things like run PC-ANYWHERE
thru the tunnel to machines on the remote LAN... but I am still totally
unable to view the shares.

I can even use the remote gateway.

Do you have any idea on what I might have missed?

The VPN clients log in just fine. They seem to authenticate via PoPToP even
with "Log in to Network" enabled...

However I cannot browse or attach to ANY shares on the remote LAN.

Even attempting to connect to a workstation share fails.

The remote LAN has a PDC and BDC, with TCP/IP enabled and working.

I've tried various versions of chap-secrets entries... the logs indicates
that the login and domain logon works... but I don't know if the PoPToP box
is actually passing requests to the NT PDC...

I even force the username in options with

name firewall
remotename domain\\admin

But still no shares.

Thanks.