[pptp-server] clients can see only some machines.... why?

E. Jay Berkenbilt ejb at ql.org
Thu Jun 29 00:00:42 CDT 2000

I have figured out the answers to my questions for NT 4.0 clients.
Since I have received no response from the list, I will post my
answers here in hopes that they will be useful to someone.  These
answers may not solve everyone's problems, of course...

The problem described below basically boiled down to a name resolution
problem.  It turned out that simply checking "Enable DNS for Windows
Resolution" in the TCP/IP protocol properties dialog under the WINS
Address tab was sufficient to get names to resolve.  Once I got this
far, I could connect to any of our servers that had static IP
addresses and names registered via DNS.

However, after doing this, I could still not connect to the samba
servers, which have domain authentication.  This is because the NT
client was sending the local domain as the domain string in the
connection attempt.  Entering DOMAIN\Username in the Connect As area
solved this problem.

I suspect that this will work for Win95 as well, except since there is
no place to override connection strings, I would probably have to have
the desired domain configured on the client....

Anyway, now I can do everything I want from NT 4.0 clients.  (Well,
actually, I can tell my users how to do everything they want -- I
access our network from Linux.... ;-])

--
E. Jay Berkenbilt (ejb at ql.org)  |  http://www.ql.org/q/