[pptp-server] Dialup Networking and VPN update

Johnny L Wales johnny at booksys.com
Tue Mar 7 11:31:39 CST 2000

Thanks a bunch. You Rock. You Rock. You Rock. This apparently meaningless
task (click the check box, then click apply, then click the checkbox again
and Viola! Everything works!) seems to have fixed 99% of all of the
problems I've had. As promised, I modified the page of Win98 setup
instructions to contain this information. New page can be seen at:
http://mail.booksys.com/win98.html

and should be able to replace the current page at
http://www.moretonbay.com/vpn/win98.html

However, I still have a bit of a problem: How do I get a WINS server to be
automatically handed out by pptp or somehow automatically configured when
they connect? Second, is there any reason why microsoft-oriented
networking tasks (such as the network neighborhood) don't seem to work? I
think it's that the username that I'm using to authenticate on the PPP
connection is not valid for the internal network. I'll try this out a bit
later. However, a password is only requested if I do something like
start/run \\192.168.10.21 (which is a valid machine on the internal
network running NT) or \\ezhost (my machine on the internal network). When
I click 'network neighborhood' and then 'entire network', it just tells me
that the network is not available or not browsable. At any rate, it
doesn't ask me for a password (and, since there's no decent equivalent of
/var/log/messages on windows machines... I don't know if it's trying to
authenticate or not.. :/)

At any rate, if anyone has any immeadiate answers to any of this, feel
free to let me know, but it's not a huge priority as I think I can fix it
with a bit of tinkering. Mostly I just wanted to say: Thanks a bunch, you
all rock, especially you, Neale. The rest of you merely rock, where as
Neale rocks -and- rolls. :)

--Me