[pptp-server] LINUX

Scott M. Stone sstone at taos.com
Tue Mar 7 17:47:08 CST 2000

On Tue, 7 Mar 2000, Ryan Matijcio wrote:

> Hi Alan,
>
> One problem I can see with a Linux pptp server in a large NT enviroment is
> account management.  I can see it being a real nightmare maintaining the
> chap-secrets file (the one that maintains the username and password for the
> vpn accounts.)  As far as I've read there is nothing to handle this.  In NT
> you can easily just turn PPTP on or off for an account in user manager.

that's a good point, though -- I wonder how hard it would be to patch pppd
to use the system's getpasswd() functions instead of reading chap-secrets?
ie, compare the inputted password from the client with the system password
table instead of having it separate..?

Probably not THAT difficult, I'd think, but who knows.  Maybe I'll try it
sometime..

Scott M. Stone, CCNA <sstone at taos.com>
UNIX Systems and Network Engineer
Taos - The SysAdmin Company