[pptp-server] GRE: discarding out of order packet

Patrick J. LoPresti patl at cag.lcs.mit.edu
Fri Mar 10 11:26:19 CST 2000

Eric B Powell <powell at agande.com> writes:

> Been reading the list for a couple of months while getting our PPTP
> server up and running. So far so good, but...One client (Win98)
> using Mindspring is generating "GRE: discarding out of order packet"
> errors out wazoo when he connects.

PoPToP 1.1.1 includes a rewrite of the GRE code which gives a more
complete diagnostic for out-of-order packets.  You might try that, to
see if the problem really is packet reordering or if it is some kind
of data corruption.  (If the sequence numbers are close together but
scrambled, then there is a reordering problem.  If the sequence
numbers are all over the map, then they are being corrupted.)

This probably won't solve your problem, but at least it would narrow
it down.

 - Pat