[pptp-server] How to get network Neighbourhood working once t he connection is e stablished

Cowles, Steve Steve.Cowles at gte.net
Fri Mar 10 15:33:25 CST 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: Jandeep Kang [mailto:jandeep at interspeed.com]
Sent: Friday, March 10, 2000 1:42 PM
To: 'pptp-server at lists.schulte.org'
Subject: [pptp-server] How to get network Neighbourhood working once the
connection is e stablished

Hello everybody,
I have gone through all the papers and provided I can establish a connection
using linux pptp server and windows clients, the question is linux pptp
authenticates the machine names (CHAP) not the users, so how do I go about
logging into the NT domain using linux PPTP server and most importantly how
to get the Network Neighbourhood stuff working?
Anybody who has this setup running, please help.
Thanking you in anticipation.

---- Disabled HTML Tags for reply -----
[Cowles, Steve]
In order to authenticate to a MS Domain Controller and use Network
Neighborhood from a Windows based client... using Poptop

1) you must have a WINS server running on your local network.
2) on your poptop server, /etc/ppp/options must contain a "ms-wins"
directive which is set to the IP address of the WINS server. This IP address
will be sent to the client when they establish their PPTP connection.
3) Obviously, your Windows client "Client for MS Networking" must be setup
to login to a MS domain and also have its workgroup setting match that
domain.

A typical dialup scenario (at least for me using NT Workstation, NOT Win98)
is
1) Turn on Laptop and login (I will get the NO Doamin Controller Found
message) Duh!
2) Dial into local ISP using dialup networking. (standard ppp)
3) Create the PPTP tunnel using Dialup Networking. Within about a minute, my
laptop will finally authenticate with the PDC and the browser info is now
available for network neighborhood. This happens because the WINS server can
now be queried by my laptop for the PDC record and the __MASTER_BROWSER__
record.

Steve Cowles