[pptp-server] PoPToP and Authentication Questions

Adam Williams adam at morrison-ind.com
Mon Mar 13 15:41:52 CST 2000

 From          : lists>pptp-server-admin
 To            : adam
 Subject       : [pptp-server] PoPToP and Authentication Questions
 Date          : 01/01/70 01:01

>A quick glance thru the site and mailing list archives didn't sufficiently
>answer my questions or provide the documentation I was looking for. My
>question is this: Does PoPToP support authentication against NT Domain
>controllers by itself, or does the box running PoPToP work through Samba to
>provide this feature? Or is there some other way of doing this that I

No. No. No. and No.~

>missed? Regardless of the ansewr, can someone provide me with a link to
>documentation detailing the setup of such a scenario? Thanks

Authentication is actually handled by PPP.  PPP supports PAM if you use PAP
authentication, which means no encryption.  With PAM you can authenticate
against anything you want.  With CHAP  you must maintain a hideous secrets
file on the PPP server, because you don't have the password you can't auth
against something like PAM.  A couple of people are pondering this dilemma,
but I haven't seen anything come through.  I am also eagerly awaiting this
feature (I want to auth with PAM against an LDAP server).  I'll buy pizza for
anyone who can provide a patch to let me CHAP against PAM.