[pptp-server] problems installing mppe patch to PPP

Emir Toktar toktar at per.com.br
Wed Mar 15 18:55:10 CST 2000

problems installing mppe patch to PPPI think that the error is on client side or you recompile with MS-CHAP different version that you is using on clients. Look the log if is <auth 80> or <auth 81>, or be, ms-chap v1 or v2, and there are a bit different between them.

" Where possible, MS-CHAP-V2 is consistent with both MS-CHAP-V1 and standard CHAP. Briefly, the differences between MS-CHAP-V2 and MS-CHAP- V1 are:
* MS-CHAP-V2 is enabled by negotiating CHAP Algorithm 0x81 in LCP option 3, Authentication Protocol.

* MS-CHAP-V2 provides mutual authentication between peers by piggybacking a peer challenge on the Response packet and an authenticator reponse on the Success packet.

* The calculation of the "Windows NT compatible challenge response" sub-field in the Response packet has been changed to include the peer challenge and the user name.

* In MS-CHAP-V1, the "LAN Manager compatible challenge response" sub-field was always sent in the Response packet. This field has been replaced in MS-CHAP-V2 by the Peer-Challenge field.

* The format of the Message field in the Failure packet has been changed.

* The Change Password (version 1) and Change Password (version 2) packets are no longer supported. They have been replaced with a single Change-Password packet.

The LCP configuration for MS-CHAP-V2 is identical to that for standard CHAP, except that the Algorithm field has value 0x81, rather than the MD5 value 0x05. PPP implementations which do not support MS-CHAP-V2, but correctly implement LCP Config-Rej, should have no problem dealing with this non-standard option."

There are updates to MS DUN that cause any problems and disconections without sense (???). I had one problem similar this the last year and after I update the DUN worked fine.

Emir Toktar

+55 2141 232-4570
toktar at per.com.br
emir.toktar at bra.xerox.com