[pptp-server] Optimizing pppd for PPTP

Nate Carlson natecars at real-time.com
Thu Mar 16 12:01:26 CST 2000

On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, Scott M. Stone wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Mar 2000, Patrick Reid wrote:
>
> > 2) Somehow integrate DHCP leases with the IP address assignment in pppd.
> > 	It would be wonderful if those IP addresses which are currently assigned to
> > a PPTP connection could be in the dhcpd.leases file, so the script I run
> > which keeps my DNS tables up on DHCP leases could also be integrated with
> > the pppd IP assignments.
>
> so basically you want it to act like a Cisco, I see :) ... seems like it
> could be done, if you maybe integrated some of the dhcpclient code into
> pppd to query a dhcp server when someone connects, then feed the IP to
> *them* instead of taking it for yourself.  it'd be transparent to the dhcp
> server...

Only problem is lease expiration and the likes.. you'd have to integrate
_all_ of that code into pppd/pptpd. Of course, you could just steal the IP
and hope the DHCP server is a nice kind that pings the IP before assigning
it.  :)

--
Nate Carlson <natecars at real-time.com>   | Phone : (612)943-8700