[pptp-server] PPTP and NAT ( network architecure also)

Tom Eastep teastep at evergo.net
Wed Mar 29 16:17:36 CST 2000

On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, john wrote:

> hi list,
>
> I need to the following and also how PPTP is deployed
> in a network.
>
> first i work with a number of firewall vendors
> (products) viz Firewall-1, Raptor , Altavista.
>
> TO make the PPTP protocol through a firewall we need
> to enable the following, tcp 1723 and IP protocol 47
> (GRE). fine till now.
>
> now, question is that is how to allow the PPTP with
> static NAT.
> what static NAT means is the following:
>
>    INternal----PPTP ------Firewall---- pptp client
>    Network     server
>
>   say the PPTP server is hidden behind the Firewall.
> ie say the PPTP server as well as the Internal network
> has a private IP address like say 10.10.10.x . The
> firewall would need to statically translate this IP
> address to a one that is routable in the Internet and
> client like shown in the diagram can dial into the
> PPTP server.
>
> Problem: I am not able to get the static NAT through
> the fireawall. without the static NAT I am able to get
> things work fine.
> has anyone encountered this scenario before. Please
> let me know your comments on this.

You might look at http://seawall.sourceforge.net. Seawall supports this
type of operation via parameters (assuming that you have the proper kernel
patches and other components; these are all described in the
documentation at the above site).

-Tom
--
Tom Eastep             \  Eastep's First Principle of Computing:
ICQ #60745924           \  "Any sane computer will tell you how it