[pptp-server] PPTP and NAT ( network architecure also)

john john_g123 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 29 14:28:11 CST 2000

hi list,

I need to the following and also how PPTP is deployed
in a network.

first i work with a number of firewall vendors
(products) viz Firewall-1, Raptor , Altavista.

TO make the PPTP protocol through a firewall we need
to enable the following, tcp 1723 and IP protocol 47
(GRE). fine till now.

now, question is that is how to allow the PPTP with
static NAT.
what static NAT means is the following:

   INternal----PPTP ------Firewall---- pptp client
   Network     server

  say the PPTP server is hidden behind the Firewall.
ie say the PPTP server as well as the Internal network
has a private IP address like say 10.10.10.x . The
firewall would need to statically translate this IP
address to a one that is routable in the Internet and
client like shown in the diagram can dial into the
PPTP server.

Problem: I am not able to get the static NAT through
the fireawall. without the static NAT I am able to get
things work fine.
has anyone encountered this scenario before. Please
let me know your comments on this.

since the intention is to allow the pptp-client be
able to connect to hosts located in the Internal
network, i am alloting the tunnelled IP address that
is alloted to the client in the same subnet as is the
Internal network.

The second scenario is to add a third arm (NIC) to the
firewall and move the PPTP server to this third zone
(DMZ). from here i wnat to know as how should the
architecure be, i how to allow the client talk to
hosts in the INternal LAN ? what should be the IP
address structure and what kind of NAT etc would be
needed.

please email me any other comments you would have