[pptp-server] Re:LDAP/PAM for authentication

Adam Williams adam at morrison-ind.com
Thu Mar 30 14:57:30 CST 2000

 From          : lists>pptp-server-admin
 To            : adam
 Subject       : [pptp-server] LDAP/PAM for authentication
 Date          : 01/01/70 01:01

>Does anyone know of any means to use either an LDAP server or PAM (with
>the LDAP patch) to authenticate PPP (or more specifically PPTP)
>clients?

PPP does the actual auth, not PPTPD. PPP can only work with PAM when using
PAP auth, and not when using CHAP, which means no data encryption.~

>We are trying to move all, or most, of our user authentication over to use an
>LDAP based directory.  The users will be nearly all Windows based (NT 4.0,
>95/98, and 2000).

So are we,  this is a stumbling block, at least until MS-CHAP get's
implemented on the server side of PPPd which currently only really has
the client portion.  See README.MSCHAP80 in the pppd source for more~
details.~

>Does anyone have any thoughts about this, or is this pretty much not doable
>with the way that PPP and Windoww handles authentication?

It is doable in theory, but not with the current PPPd.  If your willing to
give up data encyption PAP works with pam_ldap just fine.