[pptp-server] FreeBSD Newbie Q

Robinson, Eric R. erobinson at dot.state.nv.us
Tue May 2 10:31:29 CDT 2000

Greetings!

I'm a Linux fan, but I used FreeBSD 3.4 for my latest firewall project
because of the exceptional capabilities of Darren Reed's IP Filter. Now I'm
trying  to bring up PoPToP on the same box. Is there a HOWTO or FAQ that
describes how to get PoPToP running under FreeBSD? I've looked at the HOWTO
at www.moretonbay.com/vpn/releases/HOWTO-PoPToP.txt but it specifically
addresses Linux, not BSD.

Two quickie Q's:

1.	My kernel config file has the options "pseudo-device ppp" and
"pseudo-device tun." Does this mean my kernel is configured for ppp?

2.	The ppp session does not start. My sniffer says the following is
happening:

	Client -> Server: Start-Control-Connection-Request
	Client <- Server: Start-Control-Connection-Reply
	Client -> Server: Outgoing-Call-Request
	Client <- Server: Outgoing-Call-Reply
	Client -> Server: Set-Link-Info
	Client -> Server: LCP Configure Request
	Client -> Server: LCP Configure Request
	Client -> Server: LCP Configure Request
	Client -> Server: LCP Configure Request
	Client -> Server: LCP Configure Request
	Client -> Server: LCP Configure Request
	Client -> Server: LCP Configure Request
	Client -> Server: Terminate Session

Note that the client is trying to start a ppp session, but the server is
apparently not replying to its LCP configuration requests, so the client
eventually gives up.

Any clues on what might be causing this?

--
Eric Robinson
State of Nevada DOT