[pptp-server] Re: GRE prob

linux at orgx.co.nz linux at orgx.co.nz
Thu May 11 05:07:08 CDT 2000

Yes, I am "simulating" PPTP by having the Linux box be the default gateway
for the Win98 box, even though topologically speaking it's not a real
gateway.  Essentially it will forward packets back out the ethernet
interface they came in, but to the real gateway.  No special routing is
required for this, just plain old packet forwarding turned on.  The
routing table is:

root at bts:~# route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
192.168.10.0    0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0
eth0
0.0.0.0         192.168.10.254  0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0
eth0

The IP of the Linux box is 192.168.10.134 (ethernet).  The IP of the Win98
box is 192.168.10.193.  Distrib is Debian 2.2.  I don't think the hub is
very smart, anyhow, I did have PPTP working (but flakey) for brief periods
before attempting to include MPPE etc.  Thanks for trying, I'm still
puzzled...

Cheers,

Richard Shepherd

"Michael Barsalou" <barjunk at attglobal.net>