[pptp-server] RPMs for ppp-2.3.10 with MSCHAP/MPPE patch

Adi adi at certsite.com
Tue May 16 08:57:46 CDT 2000

Rich Hall wrote:

> At 05:33 PM 5/10/2000 -0400, you wrote:
> >I've built some RPMs incorporating the MSCHAP/MPPE patch to ppp-2.3.10 for
> >RH6.1 and RH6.2.  I have not done any work verifying that it actually works,
> >I simply followed the instructions from the redhat readme on moretonbay.com,
> >and made a RedHat spec file from them.
> >
> >I would greatly appreciate it if people would try these out and give me
> >suggestions.  Thanks.
> >
> >http://certsite.org/~adi/sw/ppp-2.3.10-1mschap_mppe_rh61.i386.rpm
> >http://certsite.org/~adi/sw/ppp-2.3.10-1mschap_mppe_rh61.src.rpm
> >http://certsite.org/~adi/sw/ppp-modules-2.3.10-1mschap_mppe_rh61.i386.rpm
> >
> >http://certsite.org/~adi/sw/ppp-2.3.10-1mschap_mppe_rh62.i386.rpm
> >http://certsite.org/~adi/sw/ppp-2.3.10-1mschap_mppe_rh62.src.rpm
> >http://certsite.org/~adi/sw/ppp-modules-2.3.10-1mschap_mppe_rh62.i386.rpm
>
> Well I downloaded these only to find that I already am one version beyond
> these when I tried to install them. I have version ppp-2.3.11-1 already
> installed with my RH 6.1 w/kernel 2.1.14 so rpm is complaining. Is there
> something being incorporated into the newer ppp-2.3.11 code? Why the older
> code anyway?

Rich,

These packages need specific kernel versions to work.. (2.2.12-20 for rh61,
2.2.14-5.0 for rh62) the reason is that the ppp code is half a kernel
module, half a daemon.  (I don't know why the ppp designers chose to do it
this way)  So, the ppp code must be built against a specific kernel
version... you can't use my packages with kernel 2.1.14... if you need ppp
with MSCHAP/MPPE under that kernel, you'll have to compile it yourself.  The
spec file in my src.rpm will probably be a big help doing this.

The reason I am using ppp ver. 2.3.10 is because the MSCHAP/MPPE patch is
only available for that version.

Also, please (everyone) use the packages with release
"2mschap_mppe_rh6[12]", as there are bugs in the "1mschap_*" rpms.

-Adi