[pptp-server] Re: smbpasswd for pppd

James MacLean macleajb at EDnet.NS.CA
Thu May 18 06:30:02 CDT 2000

On Thu, 18 May 2000 michael.kappler at primedisc.com wrote:

> Hi Jes,
>
> I've tried it with different 'secrets' in my chap file. * * &/etc/smbpasswd
> * (which is the acutal location of the smbpasswd) as the only entry, as the
> last entry and without this entry. I've checked the writing and everything
> around. No success.

Ok. May I ask the following? In your pppd dir, in the file auth.c, locate
the line where it looks for '&' (added by the patch) and on the line a few
past that, that is just before the while loop, add something like :

warn("I am going to try smbpasswd called %s", atfile);

Then inside the while loop, where the if statement is executed (because it
found a match), add a line like :

warn("Found pass %s", smbname);

compile and install. Then when you run, your syslog should show it trying
to get at your /etc/smbpasswd file and whether it finds your user in it or
not.

My first thought is that it is not reaching this code, almost like it is
not running the new pppd from pptpd, but then I was thinking that it may
be messing up on the matching in /etc/smbpasswd.

> Windows (this would be the first time, that a Windoze server can do, what a
> linux box can't :-<, what a shame!!! ).

Wow now, let's not give up just yet :). I wonder if there is an API call
to NT that returns the NtHASH...

> I'm only connecting Windows NT and 98SE clients to the pptpd. I haven't
> tried to connect an other linux to it, because there is no need for it.

Understood.

> Thanks,
> Mike

thanks here too,