[pptp-server] pptp server - not cleaning up after itself when pppd exits

Ron Cresswell ron at mel.compumod.com.au
Fri Nov 3 01:34:33 CST 2000

Hi Folks,

Does anyone have any suggestions here? I have a linux client connecting
to a linux server (PoPTop). The connection seems to be ok, but after a
while pppd drops the line as a timeout. Now this wouldn't be so bad if
pptpd cleaned up after itself, because I want to re-establish the
connection straight away from the client end, and that means the server
being ready to accept the same connection again... What I get at the
server end is the message

No free connection slots or IPs available - no more clients can connect!

Anyone know what this means? Or how to "clean up" the server without
executing the mother-of-all cleanup commands, "reboot"?

Miscellaneous info-

The only lines (that aren't commented out) in my /etc/pptp.conf file
are:

localip 203.7.194.159
remoteip 203.7.194.34

which are fictional IP addresses on my subnets but are officially
allocated, and the connection does use them. Are there other options
that need to be put here?

My ppp.options file has the following entries:
lock
debug
auth
+chap
proxyarp

And that's it. Any ideas where to look next?

Thanks

Ron

--
Ron Cresswell---CFD&EM Manager---Compumod Pty Ltd
Level 7---271 William St---Melbourne---Australia