[pptp-server] Two PTPP Clients Behind an IP MASQ'ed Machine Connecting to the Same PPTP Server.

Leonard L. Goldenstein len at ghy.com
Fri Nov 10 09:14:41 CST 2000

Hi Everyone,
First off I'd like to thank all list subscribers for their on-going help to
the whole PoPToP/PPTP community, great work!

Now I really need some help...

Here is a bad diagram of the current network configuration I have:

Remote
Office:
[A]-\			     /	Main
    [C]--***********--[D]--  Office LAN
[B]-/			     \     (PoPToP 1.1.2 + utmp patch)

A & B are Windows 98 workstations
C is a Linux 2.2.17 router using s single IP ADSL connection to the Internet
D is the Main office Linux 2.2.17 router & LAN

What I'd like to do is have A & B behind the MASQ'd Linux box C and both A &
B can be connection to D at the same time.  A & C both have the Windows VPN
client installed and configured.

Now what's going on is that PC A can connect just fine to D through the
MASQ'd router(C).  However, when trying to connect B, the connections works
but no data goes through - I get messages on D from PoPToP:

Nov  9 15:23:30 access pptpd[28455]: Discarding out-of-order packet 26,
already
have 502
Nov  9 15:23:42 access pptpd[27881]: Discarding out-of-order packet 27,
already
have 502
Nov  9 15:23:42 access pptpd[28455]: Discarding out-of-order packet 27,
already
have 502

It appears to me that PoPToP on the server is mistaking computer B's
datastream as data coming from computer A.  Since several packet sequences
have already been transmitted to and from computer A's VPN connection, it is
saying that computer B's packets have already been sent and recieved too.

Is there any way at all to have two computers masq'ed behind one ip and have
them both create independant connections to the same VPN server?  Network to
Network routing is not really an option, which is why I tried it this way.

Any help at all is greatly appreciated!!
Leonard L. Goldenstein
Information Services Consultant

Geo. H. Young & Co. Ltd.
809 - 167 Lombard Ave.