[pptp-server] Authentication against an NT domain

Damien Miller djm at mindrot.org
Thu Nov 23 18:55:27 CST 2000

I have seen several messages in the archive asking how PoPToP can be set
up to authenticate against an NT domain, but have not seen an answer.
We are trying to set up a system of PPTP VPNs (i.e with encryption)
authenticated against an internal NT domain server.

I understand that one cannot use the 'normal' approach of a pam_smb
module because the password is hashed for CHAP/MSCHAP.

There was some talk in the thread starting with
http://lists2.schulte.org/pipermail/pptp-server/2000-July/002790.html
about a modified pppd which could read and use password hashes retrieved
from an LDAP database. Did anything come of this?

TIA,
Damien Miller