[pptp-server] Working with Win2k

Dave Kempe david at solutionsfirst.net
Sun Oct 1 20:44:17 CDT 2000

Dean wrote:
What I am wanting to know about is getting Network Neibourhood etc up and
running, but Im not sure if it is quite as straight ford as I have thought,
as Windows 2000 takes over with its implimentation of DNS and WINS, and I am
unsure if I can replace these with Samba versions, without breaking
anything.

I don't think that win2k supports WINS. It will report to a wins database,
but it won't keep one. I think there may be a wins server available, but
win2k is meant to do dynamic dns instead of wins...
The samba server as a wins server will work fine and the win2k server will
happily report to it as such. I have got that setup here working for me.

Set up samba to be wins server, point everyone on the network to it, and it
should all work - point the vpn clients as well to wins server.

dave