[pptp-server] pptp client, Win2k server - problems!

Elijah Smith eli at rocketvox.com
Wed Oct 4 20:46:01 CDT 2000

Hi, everyone - I'm trying to connect to my Windows 2000 router at work with
my firewall/router Linux box at home.  I'm almost there - so close I can
smell it - but I can't figure out this problem.  I've read back through the
archives of this list, as well, but haven't seen any answers to this
problem...

my client is:

RedHat Linux 6.2
pppd 2.3.8 with all patches installed
pptp 1.0.2

and the server's Win2k.  I can connect with a Win98 client, no problem.  But
when I try to connect using pptp, I get:

...Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttya0
<pcomp> <accomp>\
...last message repeated 9 times
...LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests

...with no other interesting messages occuring.  Win2k just doesn't seem to
be responding.  However, in the Win2k log file, I get a warning:

"The user connected to port VPN3-4 has been disconnected because the
authentication process did not complete within the required amount of time."

So, I'm pretty stumped.  Has anyone else out there seen this happen, or have
any insight?

Thanks in advance!!

Eli Smith