[pptp-server] network neighborhood HELP!!!

Adam Lang aalang at rutgersinsurance.com
Wed Oct 11 09:10:15 CDT 2000

As for the IPChains... I don't know... I'm far from an expert... as for the
routing... Your client and your VPN don't need anything specific added to
the routing (that is if your ipchains are setup correctly).  It is the
computers on the other side of the VPN server that need routing... your
internal network.

Here is an example...

Internal network has a VPN server with address 10.10.10.2.  You also have
another computer on that network with address 10.10.10.3.  When your client
connects to the VPN, you set up a network of 192.168.0.200 (server) and
192.168.0.201 (client).

When the client pings 10.10.10.3 or .2, it knows how to talk to it because
your VPN Server knows how to route to those address.  The problem is, the
computer 10.10.10.3 does not know that packets from 192.168.0.x have to be
sent to the VPN server at 10.10.10.3 (because then the VPN server forwards
them to the 192.168.0.x network).

So, for your 10.10.10.3 type computer, you'll add a route that tells it that
192.168.0.0 network packets are forwarded to 10.10.10.2 (the internal IP of
the VPN server).

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company