[pptp-server] re:poptop & windows clients

stu at ekins.net stu at ekins.net
Tue Oct 17 08:38:02 CDT 2000

>>I have poptop and samba on the same linux box but when windows clients dial
>>in they can only access the windows share pc's by putting in the IP
>>address.
>>Also nothing shows up in Network Neighbourhood.  What am I missing here.

>wins (the answer to 90% of the questions on this list)

Indeed, which is a good testament to the server itself! It's fair to say that WINS
is responsible for the majority of dial-in problems whenever windows networking &
IP are in use.

So long as Samba's configured to provide WINS (NBNS) and the remote client is
allocated the samba box's address, everything should work fine.