[pptp-server] Coolest accomplishments with linux and PoPToP

Steve Cody SCody at Gulbrandsen.com
Tue Oct 17 09:27:40 CDT 2000

Are we allowed to brag about something we were able to accomplish with linux
on this list?  I hope so.

My company has a Frac. T1 to our corporate office.  Yesterday, the T1 went
down and our MS mailservers (Exchange Server) could no longer speak.  The
mail to and from our Corporate office was just backing up.  One of the linux
routers at my location is a VPN server, and we also have a 128K Internet
pipe.  I was able take our linux firewall/router at our corp and through
it's Internet connection, connect to our network via the VPN (not previously
done before, but entirely set up on the fly after the WAN connection went
down).  After some juggling with the firewall and disabling certain
masquerading, I was able to get our Exchange Servers to speak again and send
all of their queued mail.

This was accomplished with:

Two Redhat boxes
128K and 56K Internet connections (Frac T1 was 256K)
PoPToP linux PPTP server
PPTP linux client
some fun routing changes
changes to firewall ruleset to stop masquerading the traffic that went
through this VPN

Steve