[pptp-server] PPTP encryption or IPSEC

Adam Lang aalang at rutgersinsurance.com
Fri Sep 29 08:54:12 CDT 2000

I think it comes down to more of an issue of platforms.  IPSEC will/is part
of ipv6.  That means any OS that adopts it will be able to run IPSEC
connections (Win2K does now I believe).

The way I believe I am going to go is:  if I want VPN with win9x or NT 4
(Pro) clients, I will run PPTP due to the simplicity of installation and use
for the end user.

If I am going to have a static VPN between networks, I will have a VPN box
at each end running something like Freeswan and IPSec.

Poptop was a lot easier to manage for dynamic remote connections, but when
the connections are going to be static, I would use the more secure IPsec
implementation.  Also, turnkey routers and VPNs supporting ipv6 will be
using ipsec also, so it will be easier to integrate other networks that use
such products.

So, in a nutshell, I believe that the only reason PPTP is running on linux,
is because of Microsoft's use of PPTP.  Once they start moving away from it,
especially in their server base, more emphasis will be on IPSec, but since
win9x is not going away any time soon, use of PPTP will still be needed.

If I am wrong in any of my assumptions, please let me know.

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company