[pptp-server] Performance difference between TCPIP and SMB traffic

Joe Ward jward at cem.msu.edu
Tue Apr 3 16:19:22 CDT 2001

okay so I asked my NT engineer friend to enlighten me on this subject.  We
talked about this long ago, well before I even started using vpn tunnels
and the like. below is the blurb from that conversation.

--------------
The issue is with latency.
SMB is a poor WAN protocol. It takes about 53 packets to just rename a
file. This is 1 packet, ack, 1 packet, ack, etc. The reason is directory
traversal. Each step into a directory requires a full security check. So,
instead of a single "Hey, rename this file" packet, you have a packet for
each step into the filesystem.
So, fine in a LAN, sucks in a WAN.

-------------------------------

this explains a lot with my case in particular.  I get a huge number of out
of order packets,  thing are better now that I upgraded to the latest
pptpd, but it still drops packets cause the buffer isn't that big (unless
someone can explain how to up that figure)  I've also wanted to go back and
look at the mtu settings and such from the options file thread.  but I have
not had the opportunity to do so. in hopes of tweaking everything the best
I can.

also explains alot based on the past arguments of wrapping, encoding,
unwrapping etc.   true you have to do this for ftp, but you dont' transfer
as many packets with ftp as you do with SMB.

-Joe Ward