[pptp-server] Performance difference between TCPIP and SMB traffic

Charlie Brady charlieb at e-smith.com
Tue Apr 3 16:44:21 CDT 2001

On Tue, 3 Apr 2001, Joe Ward wrote:

> this explains a lot with my case in particular.  I get a huge number of out
> of order packets,  thing are better now that I upgraded to the latest
> pptpd, but it still drops packets cause the buffer isn't that big (unless
> someone can explain how to up that figure)

PPTP degrades very quickly with dropped packets, and out of order packets
are the equivalent of multiple dropped packets (ameliorated somewhat by
the limited packet reordering in the latest pptpd).

  Charlie Brady                         charlieb at e-smith.com
  http://www.e-smith.org (development)  http://www.e-smith.com (corporate)
  Phone: +1 (613) 368 4376 or 564 8000  Fax: +1 (613) 564 7739
  e-smith, inc. 1500-150 Metcalfe St, Ottawa, ON K2P 1P1 Canada