[pptp-server] Win2k will not make pptp connection outside rou ter Help needed

Cowles, Steve Steve at SteveCowles.com
Fri Apr 6 09:39:48 CDT 2001

I have not used the pc300 card, but I have used LRP in the past and had
excellent results. Since LRP uses a standard linux 2.2.x kernel you will
need to apply the VPN masq patches to add MASQ VPN support. i.e.
ip_masq_pptp.o

> Out of curiosity I searched the netgear site, not good, so I went
> http://www.zyxel.com/doc/p314/app/pptp.htm (I understand zyxel
> and netgear are relatives??)
>
> They talk about 1723, but not protocol 47. how do they handle
> masq/forwarding of p47?

Thats a good question. In fact, I asked the same question when I setup the
RT-314. Somehow, this box "magically" handles masquerading protocol 47 (GRE)
packets when you configure port 1723 to be forwarded to an internal IP
address.

FWIW: I installed a SonicWall firewall ( www.sonicwall.com ) a few weeks ago
and its MASQ PPTP configuration was the same. I only forwarded port 1723 to
an internal PTP server. It handled protocol 47 behind the scenes.

Steve Cowles