[pptp-server] SMP 2.2.14-5.0 Problem

Charlie Brady charlieb at e-smith.com
Mon Apr 23 19:23:44 CDT 2001

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Michael St. Laurent wrote:

> Charlie's probably right on the money with this one.

[...]

> I don't know if it has fixed the problem for certain as I usually only
> had a crash every few days or so but the fix "sounds right."

I can't make any claim to have fixed your problem. I thought you just
couldn't run it on an SMP machine - which can happen for all sorts of
reasons, but most obviously if the compiled symbols don't match the
requirements of the kernel.

A crash every few days is another thing entirely. The MPPE protocol
responds pretty badly to lost and out of order packets. PPP will also drop
connections if the right responses don't arrive in time.

BTW, what do you call "a crash"?

  Charlie Brady                         charlieb at e-smith.com
  http://www.e-smith.org (development)  http://www.e-smith.com (corporate)
  Phone: +1 (613) 368 4376 or 564 8000  Fax: +1 (613) 564 7739
  e-smith, inc. 1500-150 Metcalfe St, Ottawa, ON K2P 1P1 Canada