FW: [pptp-server] PoPToP and stability

Trevor Benson Tbenson at associatedbp.com
Tue Apr 24 14:02:10 CDT 2001

Thanks,
Trevor

-----Original Message-----
From: 	Trevor Benson
Sent:	Tuesday, April 24, 2001 11:52 AM
To:	'Tobias Bengtsson'
Subject:	RE: [pptp-server] PoPToP and stability

When it comes to load on the server, I wouldn't worry too much.  VPN is
basically advanced routing, and I have used a 486 to compare when configured
right against commercial routers.  I used a pptpd server running on a HP
Vectra 500, with 32 MB of RAM, and this machine FLEW, was never busy, and
didn't have many problems routing.  All these do is pass packets back and
forth, most never stop on the local system unless you configure other
services on the VPN server.  I am sort of confused why anyone would move
their VPN server to SMP when cisco uses processor chips that don't even
match up to Pentiums, and have less memory, but cutting the 'little'
overhead linux add's as an OS move like lightning.  Therefore a Pentium
100-200 with 16-32MB RAM should run without a hitch. Mine connected over 20
concurrent connections and I was working on it the whole time, never saw a
problem when it came to performance that would ever make me spend the money
on a dual processor system for the VPN firewall.
What reasons is everyone moving to SMP for these anyway? I assume you must
be using this box for more then just VPN to spend money for something with
that kind of processing power?

Trevor