[pptp-server] Multiple masqueraded clients

Jamin Collins JaminC at adapt-tele.com
Thu Aug 9 06:42:07 CDT 2001

Tom Owen [mailto:taro at nub.co.uk] wrote:
> Can poptop support multiple connections from a single IP?

Nope.

> One of my sites dial up through a masquerading router
> (Eicon 1830) and a single user UUNET account. There are
> several W98 PCs on the LAN behind that router.
>
> All is well when a single PC uses its VPN connection. It is
> also fine for a second user. But when either user closes
> the connection, both connections drop.

You shouldn't even be able to make the second connection at all.

> But it seems
> to me that the likely explanation is that poptop 1.1.2
> can't support multiple connections from one IP address. Is
> this true, and can anything be done about it?

There has been some discussion about this.  The PoPToP currently follows the
RFC which doesn't allow for multiple connections from one IP.  Some people
want to violate the RFC for the sake of functionality.  However I don't know
of anyone actually working on something of this nature.

Jamin W. Collins