[pptp-server] Bypassing the firewall

Jamin Collins JaminC at adapt-tele.com
Sat Aug 18 21:48:20 CDT 2001

Joey Coco [mailto:anesthes at cisdi.com] wrote:
> Well thats kind of the whole idea behind a VPN..  Unfortunately a VPN
> is a "hole" and holes can be exploited.
>
> On Sat, 18 Aug 2001, Stan A. Rogge wrote:
>
> > Isn't the purpose of your company's firewall to prevent
> > exactly what your trying to do?
> >
> > If you are successful bringing up an external Network link
> > into the middle of your company's internal network, isn't
> > your company's Network Security compromised?

I think the point trying to be made here is that there are "allowed" VPNs
and "end arounds".  Based on the first post's statement:

> (There is no way to change the firewall setting because it's
> managed by an external company and i can't ask them to
> change anything !)

I would interpret this to be one of the "end arounds".  After all if it were
one of the "allowed" VPNs, there would be no problem in getting the firewall
adjusted (unless of course the firewall was not capable of allowing
something like this).  However, in this case the poster clearly stated that
changes where not possible because he couldn't ask them to make them.  Again
if this where one of the "allowed" cases, there would be no problem. At
least not any that I can see.

Jamin W. Collins