[pptp-server] Bypassing the firewall

Neale Banks neale at lowendale.com.au
Sat Aug 18 23:17:39 CDT 2001

On Sat, 18 Aug 2001, Stan A. Rogge wrote:

> Isn't the purpose of your company's firewall to prevent exactly what
> your trying to do?
>
> If you are successful bringing up an external Network link into the
> middle of your company's internal network, isn't your company's
> Network Security compromised?

Indeed they would be.  The words "responsibility" and "liability" come to
mind here ;-)

[...]

Depending on just what you re trying to achieve, had you considered having
sshd listen on say port 443 on the Linux machine and using a Win32 SSH
client (e.g. TeraTerm+SSH, Putty)?  If that solves your problems it might
be both a whole lot simpler and open less opportunities for "other things"
to happen..

HTH,
Neale.

PS:
> > So what i'm trying to do is bypass the firewall with port redirection :

I don't think port redirection will help you with GRE.