[pptp-server] Cisco 800 series issues?

Chris Kalos ckalos at gothambroadband.com
Wed Aug 22 09:35:51 CDT 2001

I've got a Poptop VPN that normally works perfectly.  Now I'm trying to get it
working over an ISDN link on a Cisco 800 with the IP (or IP Firewall) feature
set.  While the router can support GRE, this one does not, and as a result, I'm
consistently getting this error:

Aug 22 10:22:56 thing pppd[22632]: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
Aug 22 10:22:56 thing pppd[22632]: Connection terminated.

I know that this means that a GRE tunnel can't be created.  What I don't know
is if there is any way to allow the protocol to get past the router.  I don't
need to do router to router VPN, I just want to make a Win2K system connect to
the VPN server, as one would normally do.

If this isn't an option, then I may have to move on to upgrading the 800 series
router and setting it up as a VPN server.  If I have to do this, is there any
sensible way to make the 800 series talk to Poptop, or do I have to move on to
an IPSec based VPN solution?

Thank you,
Christopher Kalos
Systems Administrator