[pptp-server] Verification of PPTP Tunnel

P39036 P39036 at exchange.sihe.ac.uk
Wed Aug 29 09:42:33 CDT 2001

Hi all

This may be a simple question, but I hope you can help me with it.
I have a Win98SE client, communicating via a PPTP tunnel with a Linux
server.

How can I be sure that the packets passing between them are travelling
THROUGH the tunnel, and not just going round it ?

For example, I want the client to send a HTTP request and download a web
page from the server, all through the tunnel. Yet, when I deny port 80
(HTTP) at the Cisco router between them, the browsing is stopped. This
suggests to me that the tunnel is not being used.

Do I have to set up a special gateway at the client/server to force all
communications through the tunnel ? Am I just being dumb ?

Thanks in advance.

Ken John
BSc PGDip CCNA